Monday, February 18, 2008

Medieval online shopping




Why is the wine world so old-fashioned in Europe? I read a US-based wine-related bulletin board, as some may know. So I see a lot of what's flowing through the pulse of American wine drinkers and oenophiles. Something that struck me a few weeks back was a sudden gush of enthusiasm for champagne flutes from the Austrian glassworks Zalto.

Revolutionary! I read. Incredible! They make the champagne in the glass come to some new, epiphanic life!

I resisted, but the news just kept growing; the champagne glass, crushed in a mash of mash-letters, was becoming irresistible. With one problem: it had found an American importer. Not a French one.

So, hardy soul that I am, I went straight (after a number of fruitless searches) to Zalto's website and ordered a pair of champagne flutes. Only at the final stage of the online ordering process, I discovered a break in the chain of digital modern shopping: I was now supposed to write a check and mail it to the company in Austria.

After scratching my head, shaking my fist, and finally laughing, I studiously wrote out a check, a cover letter and the next day, went to the post office to procure the appropriate stamp.

Two weeks later, I have now received an e-mail: apparently, Zalto was unaware of the bank fees associated with drawing funds via check from a French bank. Now they want a wire transfer.

Back to the drawing board.

In the meantime, with each passing champagne, I feel I am missing out on Elysium!

7 comments:

Nancy Deprez said...

How frustrating! I wonder why they cannot take a credit card??

peter said...

You certainly won't regret the purchase or mind the hassle. It's a gorgeous glass.

For sheer olfactory pleasure and wine analysis, I still prefer the #4 Imployitables though.

Sharon said...

Completely absurd for them to bungle this so badly! And they made me pay extra charges, so we are now up to 89 euros ($130) for two glasses. They'd better be good...

Anonymous said...

cheques are typically french and maybe belgium. rest of europe got rid of them a decade ago.

Mr. Car Hire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

the above post is spam

Sharon said...

Thanks for pointing that out. I've deleted it.